Monday, August 22, 2011

Nail Polish

This afternoon I purchased my very first bottle of nail polish. Ever. Now of course, I have had my nails painted in the past. My mother was always big into manicures and pedicures. However, I have never actively purchased, or applied, nail polish of my own volition before today. Upon perusing the overwhelming amount of brands and hues, I decided upon Essie brand- in two shades- "vermillion" orange, and "trophy wife" teal. That is one thing i have always appreciated about nail polish- the color names. I'm a sucker for a snappy name. Something enticingly sensual and slightly humorous....like "cherry poppin' red" (my own creation).

It was odd, as soon as I had the vermillion in my possession, I felt immediately compelled to paint! It was a half hour before I was scheduled to work, and I spent it crouched in my ford focus, carefully lacquering my mangled nails in day glow orange. I was surprisingly successful with the painstaking chore of utilizing my left hand to paint the right. I went to work with fresh and dangerously tacky fingernails. To my surprise, the effect was huge.

It goes back to that old cliche "it's all about the little things..." , because I felt like a million bucks. It was a small act of grooming and frivolity that paid off ten fold. I showed them off at every opportunity. I must have looked like Vanna White all day- waving my hands with proud femininity. And to think- all those years I swung so wide of such detailed attention to aesthetics- and I could have felt so giddy and pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment