Sunday, August 7, 2011

Please Bring Breadcrumbs.

Always be prepared- the Boy Scouts certainly had their finger on the button when they adopted that little nugget of wisdom. In fact, few moments bring as much personal satisfaction as being well-equipped for the ever twisting conditions of daily life. It's with a triumphant, (and slightly smug), air that we pull an umbrella from our oversized purse - just in time for the first drops of rain to splash against the pavement. We proudly stroll through the rain unscathed and arid, amongst the hordes of sad saps who have fallen victim to poor planning. 
Flashlights, breath mints, pocket knives, bobby pins, chap stick, band aids, pencil erasers, tweezers, sanitizers, scissors, etc.- these tools all carry the imperious glow of an efficient scout-leader. I have spent a great deal of my young life scurrying against the clock in preparation; the curse of procrastination claims another victim in me! However, as an adult (sort of), I have developed my own practical bag of tricks- a veritable arsenal of useful gadgetry to help me get through my waking hours. You need to clip a hangnail? I've got the clippers my friend. Hungry? There's a packet of string cheese in my side-pocket with your name on it! Hands feeling a little dry? No worries pal, I carry lotion at all times. You get the point.... 
Although I still have a worrisome amount of blind spots (I almost always forget to pack a lunch, bring bug spray, or charge my cell phone), I'm trying. So, in the spirit of preparedness, and the off-chance that anyone is reading this blog (weird word- by the way),  I want to warn you - bring your breadcrumbs. This will be a pointless blog- one consisting solely of the 23 year old meandering mind trails  that threaten my sanity. So hang in there, be patient, and leave those breadcrumbs to guide you- these trails cannot be mapped (trust me, I've tried). 

No comments:

Post a Comment