Friday, November 11, 2011

Tokyo, Tennessee

We had the day to make our own. To savor the flavors Nashville had to offer our curious spirits. Without any specific activity in mind, I found myself googling "top 10 things to do in Nashville". Not exactly the stuff of Hunter S. Thompson adventures are made of, but oh well. It got the job done. I found the website for the Cheekwood Botannical Garden and Art Museum. The admission price was harmonious to our budget, and it boasted a sensational sculpture garden. With the weather behaving beautifully, we were convinced. So, with a GPS by our side, and pop-hits of the 90's pouring out of the car stereo-J and I were off. 

The Cheekwood Estate is basically the house that Maxwell Coffee built (mmm- good to the last drop). It's comprised of a sprawling mansion (in the Art-Deco tradition), a series of wooded trails, gardens, and an art gallery within the mansion. I must say, timing is everything. And we hit the nail on the head with this particular outing. The heavy sun warmed our backs, the whipping wind kept us moving, and the autumn leaves stunned our senses. It was perfect wandering weather, and perfect is hard to come by. We learned about southern hospitality, pineapples, and stetson hats. Perusing the 19th century artwork, we marveled at the days when people were built with a pinch more grit under their nails. Their rough and tumble existence never ceases to amaze me; it presents such a stark contrast to the pampered life of modernity I lead.  

But the highpoint of the day came while crunching through the fallen leaves of the Japanese garden. Trudging along, we turned a corner and- bam! We had unconsciously meandered into a lush bamboo forest! Who would have thought we could found a little piece of Asia, tucked away in the hills of Nashville!? This is why I love travel- it offers an endless supply of the unexpected. It's when I'm the naive traveler, that I'm able to experience things with slightly wider eyes. I can humbly let the universe unfold around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment